Wednesday 29 November 2017

Why do I do what I do?

For those who don't know me, allow me to introduce myself. I'm a twice married, mother of 5 on the wrong side of forty. Although I have had cause to run over the years (I have nightmares about the beep test) my passion for running didn't begin until one fateful day in February 2014. To put it in perspective, I only attended to appease a friend who had been nagging me to join her at the newly formed Berwick Springs parkrun. At that point in time I protested 'I only walk, I don't run'. A story I love to tell to anyone I meet who is new to parkrun.

At first I was an infrequent attendee, only managing one or two runs a month. It was hard to find the motivation to leave my cosy bed to join 200+ strangers on Saturday morning in running two laps around my local lake. Although claiming to be 'a walker' I secretly delighted in challenging myself to run a little further and further on each occasion. In July that year I managed the whole 5kms without stopping and the feeling of achievement was unbelievable. I was getting hooked but felt disconnected by not knowing anyone, as my friend was often absent. My complaint's to said friend resulted in being added to a new facebook running group based at that same parkrun. 'Raring2Run' became my club and from then I began to meet other runners and feel part of the community.

'parkrun', for the uninitiated, is a free weekly, timed, 5km walk/run. Being free it relies on volunteers each week and all parkrunners are invited to volunteer at least 3 times per year. In October of that  year I did my first volunteer as token sorter. It felt awkward to turn up to help when not knowing the other volunteers, but I made a new friend in the barcode scanner, and I trotted home that morning with another friendly face to look for the next week. By the end of that first year I had also completed three fun runs of 7, 8 and 10kms. I even ran parkrun on Christmas day!

In 2015 I continued parkrunning at Berwick Springs and my attendance was becoming regular. I attended my first launch at Warragul, toured at two interstate parkruns while on holidays, as well as 3 other different Victorian parkrun locations. I discovered the fun of visiting new parkrun events and marvelled at how parkrun is the same where ever you go. The same friendly people, the same format, all that differed were the faces and the courses. All the while challenging myself to improve my parkrun times, especially achieving that first sub30 parkrun.  I was also pushing out my fun run distances too, running 5 half marathons. Over this time I was blessed to have had lovely women support me as I pushed myself to my goals. Women who disregarded their own goals to help me.  From then on I planned my running by balancing my own goals with giving support to others. I discovered the reward in helping others achieve.

By 2016 I was becoming hooked on touring parkruns in Victoria and set my sights at completing all Victorian events. I also ran my first marathon (and a 2nd by years end). I cheered and volunteered at events, ran with friends, all the while continuing my weekly parkrunning which was fast becoming an obsession. When once I would struggle to rise from my bed, I now leapt out, as soon as the realisation dawned that it was 'parkrunday'!  I was also making friends at all the parkruns I visited, an added bonus as the same faces were popping up at launches, and I was becoming a part of the wider parkrun community. This was an added benefit as I was spending less and less time at home at Berwick Springs.

2017 has seen me achieve my goal of running at all Victoria parkrun events, take up trail running, form a new running group 'Black Cap Runners' and complete an Ultra marathon. Not bad for someone who said 'I only walk, I don't run'.

So..... why is this relevant? Recently I attended a parkrun launch. As is now the norm, I knew many at the event  and I was buzzing with excitement. I was there with my husband and daughter who have both embraced parkrun as well. As we made our way to the start line I spotted a familiar figure at the back of the crowd. I had been following Jess on social media and knew of her journey, and had spoken to her at a previous parkrun launch. So I went to say hello, take a selfie (of which I am becoming known for) , and wished her well as the run directer called GO. And go we did. The morning was warm and the hill was big. I ran for awhile chatting to a friend and then put my head down to conquer that hill. The large crowd was finding the course challenging and my mind kept going back to Jess. It is quite normal for me to run back out on a course to friends and family. I have done it for those I know running a new distance for the first time, I do it for my daughter when she is walking the course. It comes from my time in the army, because in the army that is what you do. You go back out for the last man. It is not done for glory. It is just supporting your teammates.

So, joined by a few friends, we turned around after crossing the finish and headed back out to find Jess, struggling with the heat and hills. I did what I thought would help by chatting away to distract her, even momentarily, from the discomfort she was feeling. I hoped our presence was supportive and once she was within reach of the finish we dropped back to watch her cross the line. Then it was off to brunch to celebrate another enjoyable parkrun launch.

In the days since, Jess has acknowledged the support we gave her. Thank you Jess. It has brought with it much cause for reflection. My joy in parkrun comes not only from my own achievements, but from the friendships that I forge, the achievements of others, the dressing up, the volunteering, the example I am setting for my daughter and the sense on belonging I have found within the running community.

For this I am grateful.





No comments:

Post a Comment